Wix Vs. Bigcommerce: Which is Better For SEO?
When it comes to creating and managing an eCommerce store, choosing the right platform is crucial.
With numerous options available, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Two major competitors, Wix and Bigcommerce, have risen to the top, each offering a unique set of features tailored to varying business needs.
Both platforms have unique features and capabilities that cater to different business needs. But which one is better for search engine optimization (SEO)?
In this article, we will compare Wix and Bigcommerce SEO features and tools, so you can make an informed decision for your online store.
So, let’s get started!
We will start with the basics first.
Bigcommerce is a comprehensive eCommerce platform. It empowers businesses, ranging from small startups to large enterprises, to create, manage, and scale their online stores. The platform offers a range of features, and this includes a native blogging tool. However, if you plan to create a blog on BigCommerce, you might want to consider alternative tools, as the native one is pretty basic.
It was launched in 2009 and has become a popular choice for businesses looking for a robust and feature-rich solution for their eCommerce needs.
Their customers range from tiny companies opening their first online stores to well-known companies like Toyota. The majority of BigCommerce’s target market consists of people who have no prior experience running websites.
Wix is a user-friendly website builder and e-commerce platform, ideal for small to medium-sized businesses.
Launched in 2006, Wix offers a drag-and-drop interface, making it easy for users to create stunning websites without any coding knowledge.
Wix provides various features, such as pre-built templates, app integrations, and basic SEO tools, catering to a range of business needs.
It is, nonetheless, useful software for technologically savvy users and developers that need to modify the HTML and CSS of their online stores.
Let’s now quickly go through the comparison table for a better understanding and know how these two can help you with your business.
Bigcommerce Vs. Wix: Comparison Table
Now let’s get into the detailed comparison and learn about them to know which can be your best fit.
Wix Vs. Bigcommerce: Complete Comparison
We will start with features and capabilities and get started with them.
1. SEO Capabilities
Wix offers basic SEO tools, like customizable URLs, title tags, and meta descriptions. It also has the SEO Wiz, which provides personalized recommendations and an SEO checklist.
However, Wix may have limited URL structures and slower page load times, which can impact SEO performance.
Bigcommerce offers more advanced SEO tools and features, such as XML sitemap generator, robots.txt editor, and bulk editing for SEO elements.
With faster page load times and greater flexibility in customizing SEO elements, Bigcommerce has the edge in this aspect.
2. SEO Performance and Flexibility
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) plays a crucial role in determining the visibility of your online store in search engine results.
The better your SEO performance, the more likely your website will rank higher, leading to increased organic traffic and potential customers.
Here’s a closer look at the SEO performance and flexibility offered by Bigcommerce and Wix:
Faster Page Load Times
- Bigcommerce is designed specifically for eCommerce, resulting in faster page load times compared to Wix.
- Search engines like Google consider page speed as a crucial ranking factor, making it essential for a better user experience and improved SEO performance.
Greater Customization Options
- Bigcommerce offers more advanced customization options for SEO elements such as URLs, title tags, and meta descriptions. This enables you to create cleaner, keyword-rich URLs and optimize your pages for search engines more effectively.
- Additionally, Bigcommerce provides tools like XML sitemap generator and robots.txt editor, which further enhance your website’s SEO.
Visually Appealing Designs
- Wix focuses on providing visually stunning designs, which can sometimes lead to slower page load times.
- As mentioned earlier, slower page load times can negatively impact your website’s SEO performance, as search engines prioritize faster-loading websites.
Limited Customization Options
- Wix offers basic customization options for SEO elements and provides an SEO Wiz tool for guidance.
- However, it lacks the advanced tools and features available in Bigcommerce, which may limit your ability to optimize your website fully for search engines.
3. Integrations and Plugins
Integrations and plugins play a crucial role in extending the functionality of your online store, allowing you to add features and tools that help improve user experience, streamline operations, and boost SEO performance.
- Bigcommerce provides a wide array of integrations and plugins specifically designed for eCommerce needs.
- These include options for payment gateways, shipping solutions, inventory management, marketing tools, and more, allowing for greater customization and functionality of your online store.
Improved SEO Performance
- The extensive selection of integrations and plugins available on Bigcommerce not only enhances the functionality of your online store but can also contribute to improved SEO performance.
- For example, you can integrate apps that improve site speed, optimize images, or automate SEO tasks, all of which can positively impact your search engine rankings.
- Wix offers an App Market, which contains a variety of integrations and plugins to enhance your online store’s functionality.
- The App Market includes options for social media integration, email marketing, analytics, and more. However, the selection of eCommerce-specific apps may be more limited compared to Bigcommerce.
Limited eCommerce Selection
- While Wix does provide some eCommerce integrations and plugins, the range is not as extensive as Bigcommerce.
- This may limit your ability to fully customize and optimize your online store, especially if you require advanced eCommerce features.
Bigcommerce offers a more extensive range of integrations and plugins, specifically catering to eCommerce needs.
This allows for better customization, functionality, and potentially improved SEO performance. While Wix does offer a range of integrations and plugins through its App Market, the selection for eCommerce-specific apps may be more limited, which could impact your store’s optimization and functionality.
4. User Experience and Technical SEO
User experience (UX) and technical SEO are essential components of a successful online store, as they directly impact how users interact with your website and how search engines rank your site.
eCommerce Focused Design
- Bigcommerce is specifically designed for eCommerce, resulting in a more technically sound platform.
- This ensures better user experience, as the platform takes into account various eCommerce-related aspects such as site speed, mobile responsiveness, and easy navigation.
Improved Technical SEO
- With its eCommerce-focused design, Bigcommerce offers a more technically optimized platform for SEO. This includes faster page load times, cleaner URL structures, and more advanced SEO customization options.
- These features can lead to improved search engine rankings and overall better website performance.
Wix is known for its easy-to-use interface, and you don’t need prior technical knowledge to use it.
Aesthetics Over Technical SEO
- Wix’s focus on visually appealing designs can sometimes lead to compromises in technical SEO aspects. For instance, its designs may incorporate large image files or complex scripts, which can result in slower page load times.
- Additionally, the platform’s URL structures and limited SEO customization options may not be ideal for optimal SEO performance.
While Wix offers a drag-and-drop interface and visually appealing designs, its focus on aesthetics may sometimes compromise technical SEO aspects.
On the other hand, Bigcommerce, being specifically designed for eCommerce, provides a more technically sound platform that ensures a better user experience and improved technical SEO.
5. Pricing and Support
When choosing an e-commerce platform, pricing, and support are crucial factors to consider, as they directly impact your budget and the assistance you receive while managing your online store.
- Bigcommerce’s pricing plans are generally higher than Wix’s, as they offer more advanced eCommerce features and capabilities.
- This makes Bigcommerce a better choice for larger businesses or those with complex eCommerce requirements who require a more robust platform.
- Bigcommerce also offers excellent customer support, with an extensive knowledge base and a community forum.
- Moreover, they offer responsive support teams available 24/7 via phone, email, and live chat. This ensures users receive prompt assistance when needed.
- Wix offers a variety of pricing plans to cater to different business needs, ranging from basic website plans to more advanced eCommerce plans.
- Its most basic eCommerce plan typically starts at a lower price point than Bigcommerce’s entry-level plan, making it a more budget-friendly option for small businesses or those just starting their e-commerce journey.
- Wix provides excellent customer support, with a comprehensive knowledge base, video tutorials, and responsive support teams available via phone, email, and live chat (depending on the plan).
- This ensures users receive timely assistance when facing issues or requiring guidance.
Indeed Wix offers a range of pricing plans catering to different business needs and generally has a lower entry price point for eCommerce, making it suitable for smaller businesses or those with a tighter budget.
Bigcommerce’s pricing plans are higher, but they offer more advanced eCommerce features and capabilities, making them a better fit for larger businesses or those with complex requirements. Both platforms provide excellent customer support, ensuring users receive timely assistance and guidance when needed.
Happy eCommerce Business!
When comparing Wix and Bigcommerce, the choice largely depends on your business needs and priorities. If you are looking for a user-friendly platform with basic SEO tools and a focus on aesthetics, Wix may be the better option. However, if you require advanced SEO features, better customization options, and a platform specifically designed for eCommerce, Bigcommerce is the more suitable choice. To further enhance your online presence and build a strong backlink profile, consider partnering with a white label link building agency like Outreach Monks. By evaluating these aspects and utilizing expert services, you can make an informed decision that will help you create a successful online store that caters to your unique needs and goals.
Frequently Asked Bigcommerce Vs. Wix Questions
Which platform is easier to use, Wix or Bigcommerce?
Wix is known for its user-friendly drag-and-drop interface, making it easier to use for those without coding knowledge. Bigcommerce, while not difficult to use, has a steeper learning curve due to its more advanced eCommerce features.
Are both Wix and Bigcommerce suitable for eCommerce?
Yes, both platforms can be used for eCommerce. However, Bigcommerce is specifically designed for eCommerce, offering more advanced features and tools tailored for online stores, while Wix caters to a broader range of website types.
Can I migrate my online store from Wix to Bigcommerce or vice versa?
Yes, you can migrate your online store from one platform to another. However, the migration process may involve manual data transfer, template customization, and app integrations, which can be time-consuming and complex.
Which platform offers better SEO capabilities?
Bigcommerce generally offers better SEO capabilities, with advanced SEO tools, faster page load times, and greater customization options. Wix provides basic SEO tools and guidance but lacks some of the advanced features available on Bigcommerce.
How does pricing compare between Wix and Bigcommerce?
Wix offers a range of pricing plans, with its most basic e-commerce plan starting at a lower price point than Bigcommerce's entry-level plan. Bigcommerce's plans are generally higher in price but offer more advanced eCommerce features and capabilities.
Can I integrate third-party apps and plugins with Wix and Bigcommerce?
Yes, both Wix and Bigcommerce offer a range of integrations and plugins. Wix provides integrations through its App Market, while Bigcommerce offers a more extensive selection of eCommerce-specific integrations and plugins.
Are both platforms mobile-friendly?
Yes, both Wix and Bigcommerce offer mobile-friendly and responsive designs, ensuring a seamless user experience across various devices.